Friday, November 13, 2015

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

I loved this book. The chapter headings reminded me so much of the tropes that are so prevalent through much of ya these days, and gave me the idea that the author had done plenty of his own reading. I don't know why all the Finn's cracked me up but they did. I think if this had been all this book had been about it would have been the satire I expected, but the meat of the story was so much more than that.

description

This is one of the most honest looks at high school I've ever read. A clear look on what it means to be young, and uncertain about who you are, and what you want. A refreshingly un-romanticized book that deals with problems like mental illness, eating disorders, sexuality, and sex in direct, and forthright way, and felt nothing like an after school special. I don't really want to say anything more because anything I say feels too much like I'd give too much away.

description

Just know that there was a turn of events near the end of this story that cemented it's place on my favorites shelf. I loved it so hard. Also I'm really wishing for a sequel, no matter that I know that there isn't going to be one my heart still longs for it.

description

description

mle

Just read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment