Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin

I really love this book. The premise is just so different. I love the way magic works, and what it is to be a Sorcerer. The Bikers were really interesting as well. I love the complicated mess that is Matthew Swift, and the Electric Blue Angels. I love how there is no real, clear lines between the two of them, and how often they merge and blend. The plot is well done, and tightly paced. The secondary characters are a varied bunch, and from an integral part of the story rather than just being an afterthought, or a foil for Matthew. For me the stand out of this book is the writing. It's vibrant, alive, and reminds me of what I love about British humor, or style. There was a lot that reminded me of the feel of Doctor Who, Neil Gaiman, and Douglas Adams without ever feeling like the author was copying anything; just that they shared a similar sensibility, and taste. I loved the blend of humor, and darkness. It's not a light read, but it's not an oppressive one either. One of my all time favorite urban fantasy series.

description

description

Oh, I can't resist one of my favorite quotes: "'All part of the service,' she said. 'Now-I'm going to get bandages. Please don't evaporate into you constituent parts before I get back.'"

description

mle

No comments:

Post a Comment