Friday, April 24, 2015

The Dragons of Dorcastle by Jack Campbell

Thank you Netgalley, and Jabberwocky. I really enjoyed this one! With its rich world building, and complex characters it was a great book to take my time with.
I really liked the main characters Alain and Mari, they may be young in years, but life has aged them, especially Alain.

description

The world has three different castes, Mages, Mechanics, and Commons. Mages in this are interesting. They deny reality; everything is an illusion, and everyone a shadow. So you can just imagine what that power trip means for the Commons.
Alain is the youngest Mage in history at seventeen, and on his first mission for the Mage Guild. This is where he meets Mari, the youngest Master Mechanic in history. I was pleasantly surprised that there was no insta-love here, and rightly so because Alain is so emotionally shut off there would be no way he could feel anything. I mean at this point he doesn’t know what the word help means; it’s been beat out of him.

description

So it takes quite a while for the romance in this to build. Mari finally thinks that maybe, but maybe she has feeling for him at sixty percent, and at that point the connection felt real. The romance works, it doesn’t come off as a puppy love.
I also love the running joke of Mari’s sarcasm, and Alain trying to understand it.

description

Also Alain’s use of logic to do what he wants to do is great. I really had fun with these characters and can’t wait to read the next installment. I hope it comes out in eBook format!!

Rating: ⋆⋆⋆⋆


I received this book from Netgalley in trade for an honest review.

- E

No comments:

Post a Comment