Friday, April 3, 2015

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman

A fantastic collection of short stories and poems by my favorite living author. While I didn't love every story in this collection there were ones that were just perfect.

The Man Who Forgot Ray was powerful, and especially moving considering his friendship with Terry Pratchett. A beautiful, and haunting reflection on the power of words, of ideas, of books, and of stories. A story that addressed some of my personal biggest fears.
description

Click-Clack the Rattlebag was just the kind of creeping, and atmospheric horror story I like. Scary, and dark without being obvious and silly.
description

Nothing O'clock was the perfect fusion of my favorite author and one of my favorite shows. Exactly how much love the author has for Doctor Who shines in these pages. His grasp of Amy and the Eleventh Doctor was perfect, and I could see the story playing out in my head just like an episode of the show. The balance of humor, and darkness was just right.
description

The fairy tale re-imaginings were all different, but each drew on the feel of the original tales. Each dark, and more than a bit gruesome in their own way. No traditional happy endings, or Princes to the rescue here.
description

Black Dog was an excellent addition to American Gods universe. I don't think that you have to have read American Gods before you read this. It might give you a little more context, and it might be helpful to know (view spoiler) and that (view spoiler), but I don't think it's vital to understanding the story either. Just know that after some difficulties Shadow has been traveling or wandering in Europe. I love the history, and mythology in this story. It only makes me long for more.
description

Overall a good, darker selection of Neil Gaiman stories. The kind of horror that sneaks up on you. The kind built from suggestion, atmosphere, and character and not copious amounts of blood and gore. In short my favorite kind of horror.
description

mle

No comments:

Post a Comment