Thursday, January 22, 2015

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes and Joe Layden

I have to say, first of all, that I love the Princess Bride. It's one of the few stories where I love the movie as much as I love the book. I can't remember the first time I watched it, whether it was on tv, or I rented it by chance from our local movie place. My sister, who is not a fantasy fan, loves this movie. Her best friend from high school loves this movie. When my sister had to give a speech at said best friend's wedding it was from the Princess Bride, and how they used the movie in the process of screening boyfriends. It was this speech that robbed me of the opportunity to use it at my sister's wedding, but I did get one of my favorite quotes, on the quilt my mother had guests sign instead of a album. So, when I give this book five stars, I'm more than a bit biased, but that's okay.
I really loved how the book took you through the entire process of making the movie. I liked finding out how hard it was to even get the movie made at all, and how many of the people involved had first fallen in love with the book. I have to admit I saw the movie first, and only found the book years later, when I was in high school I believe. I liked knowing how much so many of the people involved loved the book.

The information on all the people involved was interesting. I liked that he didn't just tell us about the big actors, but the crew as well. It was interesting knowing what they had worked on, and how many of them had worked closely together before this movie. All the information on sword fighting was fascinating. The respect that the author had for the sword masters that taught him was nice, and I never knew that both the actors did all the sword fighting in the movie. That they worked really hard so that they could make it look good. My sister fenced in high school, and her fencing instructor, talked bout how good the fencing in the movie looked.
Most of all I love how much of a loving tribute this was to the movie, and the process of making it. I loved the respect, and admiration the cast had for each other. I liked what they had to say about each other, and I liked how different people opened up about their fears, and insecurities. It was refreshing to read a book like this that didn't trash anyone. It was a heart warming read without feeling too cloying. How could I not love such a gracious ode to one of my favorite stories of all times.
mle

No comments:

Post a Comment