Thursday, January 22, 2015

Fortunately, the Milk . . . by Neil Gaiman Illustrated by Chris Riddell

I went into this book with pretty modest expectations. I love Neil Gaiman, but I tend to prefer his adult books to his children's books. This book, however, reminded me of something my father would have read to me as a kid. Probably complete with voices. He would love the sense of humor, and I can picture this as having been one of the books he read to my sister and I, over and over again.
I really did love it. The pictures worked so well with the story, and added so much. It reminded me of Where the Sidewalk Ends. Even the font is fun, and I liked how it was a good visual cue for fun, sound effects type words, and when the children interrupt the telling of the tale. The cast of characters is fun, and varied. The sense of humor was my personal favorite, and reminds me of everything I love about British humor. Touches that brought Doctor Who, Time Bandits, and Monty Python to my mind. It's one of those rare books where both children, and adults will laugh, if for different reasons. Like another one of my childhood favorites, The Muppets. Makes me wish, if only for a minute, that I had someone to read this aloud to.




mle

No comments:

Post a Comment